Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics
1 Pages Page: 1
eco friendly driving?
#1 Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 4:57:16 PM

I heard someone talking the other day... they said that most people could increase their gas mileage by 30% simply by changing how they drive..... is this true for all cars!? The guy acted like he knew what he was talking about but that seems like a lot.
#2 Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 7:02:25 PM

I read your post and immediately reminded me of the test Ford did with it's Fusion last year. Read this article 2010 Fusion Hybrid goes 1,400+ miles and you'll see that with very seasoned driving techniques, they were able to drive over 1,400 miles on a single tank. That's pretty impressive and has me seriously considering one for my next vehicle!
#3 Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 4:09:51 PM

In Europe people are taught to drive in an eco friendly way as part of the drivers test. There are definite ways to save gas by changing the way you drive such as by trying not to drive in reverse. When at all possible, pull through a space in a parking lot so when you leave you do not need to back up. Staying under 65 mph also helps save gas.
#4 Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 7:46:04 PM

1337 wrote:
In Europe people are taught to drive in an eco friendly way as part of the drivers test. There are definite ways to save gas by changing the way you drive such as by trying not to drive in reverse. When at all possible, pull through a space in a parking lot so when you leave you do not need to back up. Staying under 65 mph also helps save gas.

What is wrong with reverse? does it really burn more gas? I'd be interested to see how much more gas is burnt driving around the parking lot trying to find a spot that you can pull through ; )
#5 Posted: Friday, March 05, 2010 3:06:27 PM

From the About website:

Accelerate more gradually. The harder you press the gas pedal the more juice you're pouring down the hole.

Anticipate stops. By keeping an eye ahead of you by half a block or so, you can see a light changing red and take your foot off the gas earlier. By coasting instead of driving under power, you're burning less fuel.

Drive more slowly on the highway. We all want to get there fast, but shaving 5 or 10 miles per hour off your highway speed saves lots of gas, and probably won't add much time to your trip.

Shift gears earlier. If your car has a manual transmission, try shifting gears at a lower RPM. The higher your engine revs the more gas it burns.
#6 Posted: Friday, March 05, 2010 10:48:02 PM

yav wrote:
From the About website:

Accelerate more gradually. The harder you press the gas pedal the more juice you're pouring down the hole.

Anticipate stops. By keeping an eye ahead of you by half a block or so, you can see a light changing red and take your foot off the gas earlier. By coasting instead of driving under power, you're burning less fuel.

Drive more slowly on the highway. We all want to get there fast, but shaving 5 or 10 miles per hour off your highway speed saves lots of gas, and probably won't add much time to your trip.

Shift gears earlier. If your car has a manual transmission, try shifting gears at a lower RPM. The higher your engine revs the more gas it burns.

That all makes sense to me. I try to follow these "rules" as best I can. It saves money and it saves a little CO2 from getting up in the air.
#7 Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2010 6:48:01 PM

what about the driving in reverse; now i really want to know if/how that helps the environment.