Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics
1 Pages Page: 1
Chevrolet to phase out "Chevy"?
#1 Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2010 1:11:50 PM

I heard a news report this morning that an outside marketing firm is recommending Chevrolet phase out their nickname, Chevy. I don't know anyone who uses the full name. Think it'll work? What could be the purpose?
#2 Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2010 1:18:14 PM

That seems very odd. I suppose if they wanted to re-brand the company as a whole then it might make sense to try to remove an old nickname. As you said though, I can't think of anyone that would say "I own a Chevrolet". I can't see the marketing efforts working, but it'll be interesting to see the ads and how they try to pull it off I suppose.
#3 Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2010 1:21:20 PM

I've seen a lot of companies taking the recession as an opportunity to rebrand. Dodge for instance has introduced a new logo for a new look.

I just don't think making the name longer is the way to go. Everything these days is easier and faster.
#4 Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2010 4:00:18 PM

Looks like GM is quickly re-acting to public comments about using Chevrolet and Chevy. Here's part of the statement on their website.

From General Motors:

DETROIT -- Today’s emotional debate over a poorly worded memo on our use of the Chevrolet brand is a good reminder of how passionately people feel about Chevrolet. It is a passion we share and one we do not take for granted.

We love Chevy. In no way are we discouraging customers or fans from using the name. We deeply appreciate the emotional connections that millions of people have for Chevrolet and its products.

In global markets, we are establishing a significant presence for Chevrolet, and need to move toward a consistent brand name for advertising and marketing purposes. The memo in question was one step in that process.

We hope people around the world will continue to fall in love with Chevrolets and smile when they call their favorite car, truck or crossover “Chevy.”

http://media.gm.com/cont...2010/Jun/0610_Statement
#5 Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2010 4:50:32 PM

This is dumb. Seriously how many people are going to stop calling it Chevy?

And think about all the song lyrics that mention Chevy... is it really so important to rebrand to toss that all away?
#6 Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2010 5:07:58 PM

well, hopefully, now that GM has issued their statement, this will just be a 1-day story. Viva la Chevy!
#7 Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2010 5:14:51 PM

CarLocate Team wrote:
well, hopefully, now that GM has issued their statement, this will just be a 1-day story. Viva la Chevy!

Damn it I seem to have failed to read the retaction right above my first post.

Although... speaking of songs that mention Chevy... go listen to Dr Feelgood!
#8 Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2010 5:54:39 PM

I like how they say we can call it Chevy but they're not going to. So maybe eventually it'll go?
#9 Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2010 7:36:06 PM

Nice how it's like a bad word at GM.

From the memo:
P.S. We put a plastic “Chevy” can down the hall that will accept a quarter every time someone uses “Chevy” rather than Chevrolet! We’ll use the money for a team building activity.

See story here with the full memo listed: http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/06/09/a-chevy-by-any-other-name/