Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics
3 Pages Page: 123>
Paddle shifters, how do they work?
#1 Posted: Friday, June 17, 2011 6:55:28 PM

Ok, so recently I got into a discussion with a friend about how the cool new thing to have on cars is a set of paddle shifters. The only thing is, neither of us really knows too much about them. I dont even know whether I would like them or despise them. I know originally they were for formula one cars and stuff like that and eventually found their way on the road through sports cars. (Ferrari maybe?)

But seriously, how do they work? Does the car still have a clutch pedal for taking off at redlights/stop signs? Or is it more something along the lines of those automatic cars where you can "manually" choose the gear it goes to? I'm just confused...
Necessity is the mother of all invention... and thus, the reverse donut was invented.
#2 Posted: Friday, June 17, 2011 7:39:30 PM

Hmm not entirely sure. Off to google.
"You crossed the line first, sir. You trolled them, you flamebaited them to the point of desperation. And in their desperation they turned to a poster they didn't fully understand. "

"He's the poster CarLocate.com deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll troll him because he can take it. Because he's not our poster. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. The DuskNight."

#3 Posted: Monday, June 20, 2011 3:25:47 PM

Hmmm...

Can't tell if sarcasm or if being helpful...
I hope I didn't just get burned by DuskKnight
Necessity is the mother of all invention... and thus, the reverse donut was invented.
#4 Posted: Monday, June 20, 2011 5:28:16 PM

Paddle Shifters? Are you sure you don't mean Paddle Tennis? It's a game like tennis only smaller. Life long friends will play this game and enjoy each others company with mirth and joy.
Ray Knowlds, Employer of Fine Individuals
#5 Posted: Monday, June 20, 2011 7:00:52 PM

fourbangerfury wrote:
Ok, so recently I got into a discussion with a friend about how the cool new thing to have on cars is a set of paddle shifters. The only thing is, neither of us really knows too much about them. I dont even know whether I would like them or despise them. I know originally they were for formula one cars and stuff like that and eventually found their way on the road through sports cars. (Ferrari maybe?)

But seriously, how do they work? Does the car still have a clutch pedal for taking off at redlights/stop signs? Or is it more something along the lines of those automatic cars where you can "manually" choose the gear it goes to? I'm just confused...

Paddle shifters are used to shift the gears up or down when the car has a semi-automatic transmission. A semi-automatic transmission does not change gears automatically but uses manual gears changes by dispensing with the need to use a clutch. The paddle shifters are behind the steering wheel so the driver can keep both hands on the wheel.

That's right boys...I know stuff biggrin
#6 Posted: Monday, June 20, 2011 7:08:59 PM

So no clutch?...

No clutch = No fun ... IMO
#7 Posted: Monday, June 20, 2011 8:13:15 PM

On they put that on race-cars with no clutch? think I disapprove snooty
"You crossed the line first, sir. You trolled them, you flamebaited them to the point of desperation. And in their desperation they turned to a poster they didn't fully understand. "

"He's the poster CarLocate.com deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll troll him because he can take it. Because he's not our poster. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. The DuskNight."

#8 Posted: Monday, June 20, 2011 8:16:27 PM

yeah makes sense for noob drivers in maybe a Honda Civic. Wonder why they stuck those bad boys in a Ferarri. think
USA: Importing Asian Cars since 1957 but Asians since 1850
#9 Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 1:03:06 PM

They used to call me Clutch back on the basketball courts of Philly in the mid-sixties. That was back when I had a gotee and a sky hook.
Ray Knowlds, Employer of Fine Individuals
#10 Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 5:02:23 PM

RayKnowlds wrote:
They used to call me Clutch back on the basketball courts of Philly in the mid-sixties. That was back when I had a gotee and a sky hook.

Your nickname can still be Clutch except now as in reference to your posting being so bad it makes me clutch my head in pain. wall