Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics
1 Pages Page: 1
Pot Hole
#1 Posted: Wednesday, March 10, 2010 1:53:30 PM

I've heard it's bad to hit pot holes in the road but was wondering what that actually does to my car. I accidentally hit a big pot hole a couple days ago and want to make sure I didn't mess up something. doh

Any advice?
#2 Posted: Wednesday, March 10, 2010 2:58:46 PM

the most immediate and obvious damage would be to your tire and/or wheel.... definitely give them a close look if you think it was a severe hit. There is also a chance that things are out of alignment and/or you threw a weight (those little pieces of metal used to balance the wheel).

if it was REALLY bad, you could potentially do something to your suspension and/or part of the body.... this is unlikely though.

Does it feel different when you drive it? if not, and everything looks ok, I wouldn't sweat it.
#3 Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 10:02:43 PM

If it is out of alignment should I go to the dealership right away to get it checked? What happens if I drive on it when it's not aligned?

It drove a little stiff at first but then went back to normal.
#4 Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2010 3:03:20 PM

Hey Lisa,

If there is no obvious damage or noticeable change in driving, you’re probably fine. The worse thing about a little misalignment would be uneven tire wear across the surface of the tire. In a couple months I would check or have someone check your tire tread to make sure it is wearing even on all four tires. To do this, simply look at the surface of the tire. If one side of an individual tire is more worn than the other, it is possible the vehicle has been knocked out of alignment. If you do notice any problems then you should have the alignment checked.

-Danny
#5 Posted: Monday, March 15, 2010 5:06:35 PM

Thanks!
#6 Posted: Tuesday, April 06, 2010 8:10:41 PM

I did that once and then my accelerator got very noisy until I had it fixed.
#7 Posted: Thursday, April 22, 2010 3:53:28 PM

The one I hit bent the rim.